Friday, February 13, 2009

Shark Attack!





Shark Attack! Bowling a 162 on the Shark pattern...

It was a Tuesday night and we were bowling as we have been doing every Tuesday night since this January. Many people were out in Las Vegas at the lastest open event so it was a quiet night. A still, even somber night. No real chatter from the bowlers or high fives, just the drumming sound of pins being knocked down. That wonderful crashing sound I'm growing to love.

My team was preoccupied with a little conversation about work so they gathered in a corner and approached thearea only when it was their time to bowl. For amateurs, we were really bowling well, but few seemed to notice.I'd hit a few strikes, a spare or two. It was a magical, very odd thing for my being a first time bowler and beginner on a sport bowling league. I tried not to notice or focus on the fact that I was bowling well. Instead I concentrated on my stance, my form and played around with following through on swinging the ball, my backswing and push I think the bowling terms are called.

It was in the last game, the third one for the night when our attention gathered and both of our teams knew we were almost done for the day. Leaving work to go bowl means for a long day and the third game is always theone that pays for it. But somehow, I was warmed up, really at ease and started the first frame out with a strike. Then a spare. Then a strike and another strike! I ended up bowling my best to date (ever) game coming in at a 162. The other two games had been 122 in that night's series.

My team mates bowled well too and game in with high scores of 130 and 139. The whole quiet night was a lovely experience and one I hope that we can repeat next week, but I'm not holding my breath. It'll be a new sports pattern to play on and who knows how well it will go. But I can say that of all the patterns we've played on so far, I love the Shark the best :D

To learn more about Sport bowling and the patterns used, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_bowling
Also check out this video on youtube for bowling on the PBA Shark pattern at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHFOQdWhV7Q

No comments:

Post a Comment