Saturday, April 18, 2009

Temptation found me

Temptation found me today and I was away from my desk. I was at lunch. When I returned, I knew what it was. That raw power of glee, excitement, fear, guilt - all rolled into one. I had taken a detour to the kitchen for a cup of motivation. And there T was, sitting at my desk, smiling, waiting, admiring, me.

"Well, don't you look nice today? All dressed up in business attire. That's different."

I placed my tea on my desk, without responding.

"It's been a long time? Hasn't it?"

I sat on the side of my desk, while T relaxed in my chair. I calmly glared at T.

"You've missed me, haven't you?"

"What do you want," I replied, hoping my co-workers wouldn't hear my talking to what appeared only myself.

"It's about time, isn't it? Haven't you missed me? I've certainly missed you."

"We're not doing this again."

T stopped grinning and leaned closer to me, "Oh no, you don't feel that?" He paused for effect. Then continued. "Deny it if you will, but it's there. One moment, one second, and you'll be hooked. I know you."

He settled back in my chair.

I clenched my teeth. Slowly I picked up my cup of hot Earl Grey tea and poured it into my office chair where T sat. Immediately he jumped up screaming and disappeared.

A co-worker popped his head over the cube. "You okay, Amanda?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just spilled my tea."

No comments:

Post a Comment