Monday, February 2, 2009

Alley - start writing

"Speaking of writing... what more have you done?"
"Writing?! Yes, writing. My writing you mean?"
"Yes, your writing, your book! Where are you with that?"
"Uh..." She shifted in her seat and ran her fingers through her hair, yanking a few stranes free from her left temple.

Her friend admired her nervous reaction. Alley was always pulling at her hair.

* * *
It's about time I stopped my life to write some fiction and I've started doing that, but not before two of my other friends have written full novels themselves. 80,000 words plus! It's wonderful and I'm so proud of both of them. They've been kind enough to ask me to edit drafts of their works and that has given me motivation to do my own.

Why did I need motivation?
Well because I'm lazy. Another reason is because I doubt myself often, always, frequently. Well maybe just often. I keep thinking I have nothing of importance to say, and that's keep me on the sidelines for a long time now.

As my friends are finishing up their manuscripts, writing their query letters, I'm writing my first scene for my "story." I'm not calling it a book just yet. I'm thinking that when I have written well over 20,000 words, I can call it a "short story," when I have written well over 45,000, I can call it a "novella," and when I have written well over 75,000 I can call it "my first novel." :-) I believe in pacing myself and taking baby steps. LOL! You can see what I mean.

Funny thing with this whole writing thing is to figure out times when to write. Usually the best time for me is early in the morning when the house is quiet. Or late at night. But often my brain is tired at night and I can't focus.

Focus. Another problem of mine. I love to keep coming up with ideas. It's like I can't sit still long enough to write out a scene or slice of dialogue. I actually have two main story ideas that I'm thinking about. I write on one, think about the other, write some ideas on it, and then go back to the first one. Is that even normal?!

I'm also learning, from my friends, that it's a discipline too. Just like anything is: jogging, going to work, not smoking. It's what you decide you will or won't do. That's another one that I have trouble with, except working. I always show up for work. But that's cause I love my job so it makes it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment