Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Getting Back into the Swing of things

Sixty-seven million people in the U.S. bowl.
I learned that in a meeting the other day which is an odd fact to learn when you're sitting in a room full of a hundred or so of your co-workers, but I work for a company that promotes the sport of bowling so it's rather interesting to see what I'll find out next.

As many of you know, I've been working from home this past year after having knee surgery in October 2007. I've enjoyed morning walks with my dog, going to the gym whenever I like, watching any number of Law & Orders on Mondays, trying my hand at cooking evening meals, painting some days, and writing on other days.

But that year of solitude came to an end this November with my returning to the work force. Now don't get me wrong I'm not totally bummed that I'm having to work again, well maybe a little. It's was so fun to have a lot of time on my hands even with working on contracts from home. I have several friends who also develop training like I do. But with my hubby getting laid off in October, we needed insurance and thus the job searched began for me.

I'm working on my third week of being in "cubicle city" as we call our area for the growing group of IT professionals. This time around I joined an IT group as the online elearning developer. It reminds me of the good ole days of the dot.com era when I worked for a few software companies, one time as a technical writer and another time as a JSP developer. My work experience spans the gamet.

Since November, I"ve been working for a company whose business is bowling, the sport. Friends ask me if I'm training bowlers how to bowl. Not exactly but I do think I'll be learning more about bowling in general. That goes without saying, right? Luckily I have expert bowlers who are coaches and have been in the business a few years. One guy I work with is a gold medalist and a really great guy. He approved my design for a new user interface for the online training so I'm buckling down to develop a few courses by January.

So with getting back into the swing of things I'm happy to have a job and happy to be working (again) with a friendly group of people. Oh did I say that my boss is really cool?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment