Monday, January 14, 2008

My Artist Statement

When I paint, I ask the canvas to play a part in the process. It has to be the receiver of all the bent up emotions I throw upon it. I focus on a few colors and explore the space of the canvas until a new image presents itself.

I’m a self-taught painter and have always been a fan on abstract expressionism. Works by Pollock, de Kooning, Rothko, Motherwell have really influenced me. Maybe more so that the traditional impressionists. The most fascinating subjects for me are not what I see around me, but what shapes and colors I gather in my imagination. I keep a notebook nearby to capture such ideas. I try to stay with using oils as a medium, but I do like to experiment with acrylics, latex and water soluble oils. Texture still holds my interest.

Before I start a canvas, I like to develop a surface incorporating anything from rocks to newspaper to coffee grounds. I use painting as a outlet of expression, saying what I can not say, what I dare not say in other forms of creativity like music or writing or daily life. In my paintings, I try to slice out a portion of my inner self and allow it to escape. That frozen moment in time rolls out onto the canvas and reveals itself to myself and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment